Motion: THB that original inhabitants of popular places should take precedence over newcomers
Role: Whip (gov.)
Every aspiring young person has some kind of relationship with cities, counties, countries, provinces, states and towns. Some of them suit us fine, while others ring a false note/tone. Some localities we just can’t put up with.
This time, as an example, I’m going to talk about LA, the City being the original ”redwood” homebase to some while a ”Zoo Station” for others. To me, LA represents the weekday of Saturday. What do we know about Saturday?
- It’s part of the weekend, the first half (or the middle part, if we count the evening and night of Friday in.)
- It’s gotten its name from a Roman god called Saturnalis.
- Some associate it with sauna.
- Some concerts are staged on Saturday.
- Booze flows on Saturday.
- Doctoral vivas may be held during the pre- and afternoon part of the day.
- Financially, it’s the worst day for commercial transportation/logistics companies, as it’s not a day for work-related commuting, and everyone will have travelled for leisure either on the previous day, or a day thereafter, on Sunday.
- A sausage has been named to it (in Finland).
- It’s ”alright for Fighting” (according to Elton John).
- During Easter, Saturday has no special religious or liturgical meaning, at least to the layman.
- Most businesses are partially open on Sundays. It may be very good when it comes to discounts, refunds, sales or shopping (in a stationary way).
- Pets like Saturdays, for it’s the first day of the week when their owners have truly time to feed, maintain, walk and wash them.
In short, Saturdays are the day of the week, when it’s still OK to be messy, or a Mess, but which nonetheless do not the next day bite one in the ass.
What is, then, my relation to Saturdays?
Well, it’s not my best-liked day, but it’s not my bugbear either. It’s firmly one of the in-between days that I tend to have, united in that quality with Thursday. I have found that it’s an agreeable day, more for entertainment than for benefit, epiphany, erudition or profit. This means that my relationship with LA is a bit precarious and volatile. I have the potential to like LA, but that comes with a bit of strain, luck and determination. The underlying impression or illusion is that the day has more control over me than I have over the day. It also passes much faster than I think.
These impressions I have assembled in having been once to LA, for a few days, and having lived through innumerable Saturdays over the course of my life.
I do not obsess over LA, like some people do. We have to remember that the actual atmosphere in LA has very little with its original settlers to do. The ambience of raw competition, dog-eat-dog mentality, live-and-let-die attitude, viciousness and superficiality, and so on, have been created by all the arrivistes, upstarts, nouveau riches and social climbers who have since flooded the city saddled with their ambitions, aspirations, hopes and longings. They, in turn, have originally come from humbler, rainier locations, expressly to counter that ”poor provenance”.
I believe that the True Spirit of LA has more to do with Sunday than Saturday, were LA still that mission station once set up and inhabited by Spaniards. Once upon a time, LA had a promise about it. Now those days are long gone. Those, who come to LA, have to show some promise. They will get something in return, if they redeem themselves; this promise is given to them by those who have already settled there to prosper. But, maybe it’s a Com-Promise…
Because LA has been tweaked into some thing it originally was not, I back up and forward the govt.’s motion that original inhabitants of popular places should take precedence over newcomers.
Arvio: En tee puheessa viimeisen puhujan työtä toisten puheita tiivistävänä ja selittävänä ”intendenttinä”. Sen sijaan puhun omiani. Tämä on väärin, mutta joissakin tapauksissa näin voi käydä. Joskus kyseessä on ymmärrettävä lapsus, ja haluan esittää yhden esimerkin, miltä se sitten näyttää ja kuulostaa (eli tältä). Syyt ovat nämä: a) muut puolen puhujat eivät ole myöskään tehneet hommiaan, jolloin ei ole ”mitään tiivistettävää” tai b) muut puolen puhujat ovat tehneet ”liiankin hyvää” työtä ja ammentaneet aiheen tyhjiin omilla puheenvuoroillaan, jolloin minkä tahansa uuden aineksen, jopa selälleen flippaavan, lisääminen debattiin bloosaa vain lisää myötätuulta oman puolen purjeisiin.